slow-cooker honey garlic chicken
Tasty, more-ish honey and garlic chicken which is fall-apart tender from slow-cooking
SLOW-COOKER HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN
It just takes 5 minutes to throw together the sauce for this easy and delicious honey garlic chicken. All you have to do is mix up the ingredients for the sauce, and then just add it to the slow-cooker with the chicken breasts and spring onions. This only uses a simple combination of ingredients, slow-cooked with chicken breasts which become juicy and tender are shredded into sauce at the end of cooking.
HOW S SLOW-COOKER HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN MADE?
Watch how this simple slow-cooker honey garlic chicken is made here:
WHY USE A SLOW-COOKER?
I’ve always loved the slow-cooker. It’s an easy way to make great tasting food without having to put in a whole lot of effort- even if you don’t have any confidence in yourself as a cook you can happily take on slow-cooker meals like this!
A slow-cooker is a really great value piece of kitchen equipment. I have one is nearly 20 years old and works as well as when it was new. If you are looking to buy a new slow-cooker there are many on the market, and to suit any budget. Lots of supermarkets make their own brand, and you can find loads of great deals on Amazon too (take a look below).
Once you have started to experiment with a slow-cooker you will find out how versatile it is. The first thing I ever cooked in mine was a beef and ale stew- and it was so good that it was all I made for years! Here’s my recipe for beef and ale stew
CAN THIS BE FROZEN
This slow-cooker honey garlic chicken is a great freezer meal! Simply cook as instructed, place any leftovers into an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Make sure that you thoroughly defrost this before reheating.
You can also prep this meal by mixing up the sauce and the chicken, and place the uncooked ingredients together in a ziplock bag or airtight freezer-safe container, then when you are ready to cook it just defrost and then place in the slow-cooker to cook for the indicated times in the recipe.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SLOW-COOKER HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN:
This is a great dish which can work with a large variety of combinations. I love this served with:
- egg-fried rice
- cauliflower rice
- brown or white basmati rice
- stir-fried vegetables
- in a wrap with thinly sliced cucumber, carrot and shredded lettuce
- julienned/grated vegetables such as carrot, cucumber and red cabbage.
- Try drizzling some spicy sriracha sauce over this, it’s delicious!
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE IN A REGULAR OVEN?
This recipe also works well in the oven! Simply pre-heat the oven to 190°c, place all of the ingredients into a casserole dish with a lid, and bake for 45 minutes until the chicken is tender.
HOW DOES THIS RECIPE WORK ON SLIMMING WORLD?
The great thing about this meal made in the slow-cooker is that there is no need for any extra oil. The only syns are in the honey (5 syns for 2 tbsp) and the sesame seeds (3 syns for 1 tbsp)
WHAT ELSE CAN I MAKE IN THE SLOW COOKER?
There are so many fantastic meals that can be made in the slow-cooker. Have a look at some more of my slow-cooker recipes here.
Want to pin the recipe for later?
Slow-cooker honey garlic chicken
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 spring onions trimmed and finely sliced
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- handful of coriander to garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey, tomato puree, soy sauce, rice vinegar and measured water. Stir in the spring onions and crushed garlic.
- Pop the chicken breasts into the slow-cooker bowl, and cover with the sauce. Put the lid on.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours, stirring half way through
- The chicken should now pull apart easily, and you can shred it into the sauce using 2 forks.
- To serve, dry-fry the sesame seeds for a couple of minutes to give them a bit of colour and a toasty flavour, and sprinkle over the top of the chicken. Scatter with the coriander leaves.
For something so easy, this has so much flavour!
Hi, can I make this in an Instant Pot? If yes, how shall it be done?
I did this recipe this evening and it was really delicious. My daughter and husband were both really impressed with it. Many thanks! I’ll be cooking it again!
Whole family loved this. Will make again but need a bit of extra juice