Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s ‘Jools’ pregnant pasta’ from his 30 minute meals book, this is a fab comfort food meal.
The combination of ingredients in this meal is just perfect to make a beautifully satisfying dish. Using low-syn or syn-free sausages makes this one a great weekday staple for slimmers!
Please note that you will need a food-processor or a mini food processor for this recipe.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 4 spring onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1-2 fresh red chillies
- 6 reduced fat sausages make sure they are low syn- I used Tesco Healthy Living Cumberland
- 1 heaped tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 500 g dried penne
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Basil to garnish
- Roughly chop the spring onions, carrot and celery, then blitz in the food processor with the chillies (remove stalks).
- Add the sausages (I chopped these roughly with scissors into the food processor), the fennel seeds and the oregano. Keep whizzing until it’s all well mixed-up.
- Put the pasta on to cook, and then spray a large non-stick frying pan with Frylight and throw in the sausage mixture.
- Keep breaking it up and stirring it to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan- as there’s little fat in it it can stick a bit.
- After the sausage mixture has cooked for about 8 minutes, crush in the garlic cloves, add the balsamic vinegar, and the tinned tomatoes.
- Leave it bubbling while the pasta cooks. When the pasta is cooked through (save a little of the water), add it into the sausage sauce and season it.
- If the sauce seems too dry then add a little of the pasta water.