Tasty lasagne with a twist on the white sauce to keep it healthy and easy to make!
1 hour 30 mins
I love lasagne. It was the one craving that I had when I was pregnant! My old lasagne would have had a traditional white sauce made from (lots of) butter, flour and milk. I was trying to think of a white sauce that would still taste lovely but be a bit healthier and when I was scouring the shelves in Sainsburys I noticed that Philadelphia was half price so thought I’d give that a go. I was really pleased with the results, and actually I think I preferred it to my old version of lasagne![update 2019] Unfortunately Slimming World took Philadelphia off the Healthy Extra A list at the beginning of this year (2019), so I tried Primula as an alternative and was really happy with the results. I had never bought Primula until I worked with them at Christmas to create this Smoky chicken jalapeño macaroni cheese
Primula has now become a fridge staple for me! On Slimming World 60g of Primula Original is one healthy extra A (so the 150g in this is 2.5 HEAs). I love how versatile it is- I spread it in wraps with Marmite for my daughter’s packed lunches, and I always use it to make easy mac’n’cheese! My husband laughs at my ‘Spagagne’ speciality- it’s spaghetti bolognese, with Primula squeezed over the top and then cheddar sprinkled on and melted over the top- really delicious!
This update also bears in mind Slimming World’s 2019 update to allow 2 healthy extra A portions per day, so this is really a lovely, cheesy lasagne that will not feel like a compromise at all- it may be Slimming World friendly, but it tastes as good as any lasagne you’ll have anywhere!
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 1 onion peeled and ends removed
- 1 stick celery end and stringy bits removed
- 1 carrot ends removed and washed
- 2 cloves garlic skins removed
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 beef stock cube or stockpot
- 1 tbsp sweetener I prefer Stevia
- 1 tsp oregano
- lasagne sheets
- 150 g Primula original
- 125 ml semi skimmed milk
- 100 g mozzarella
- 90 g grated cheddar
- salt and pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Finely chop the onion, celery, carrot and garlic
- Heat a non-stick, large pan (one with a lid) with low calorie cooking spray and throw in the veg. Fry gently, stirring every now and again for about 5 minutes.
- Spray a fryng pan with low calorie cooking spray and fry the beef mince on a high heat until browned, breaking up any clumps.
- After the veg have cooked for 5 mins, add the the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cube, soy sauce, sweetener, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Bring up to a fast simmer and add in the mince. Stir well, and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally
- One the bolognese sauce is ready, make the white sauce:
- Squeeze a whole tube of Primula Original into a small saucepan
- Add 125ml semi-skimmed milk and warm them gently through together, stirring as you go.
- Add 30g grated cheddar and stir into the sauce until melted. You should now have a nice (medium consistency) white sauce that is easy to pour
- In a medium sized dish, layer half the bolognese sauce, cover with pasta sheets, and pour on half of the white sauce
- Add the rest of the bolognese, another layer of pasta, and the rest of the white sauce. Tear up the mozzarella over the top, and sprinkle over the remaining grated cheddar
- Place the dish onto a baking tray and bake at 180c for 40 minutes
- Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley