Juicy chicken, bbq sauce, melty cheese, bacon… SYN FREE! what more could you want?!
I love this meal, I always want to pick it if I see it on the menu somewhere as it’s just such a satisfying thing to eat! Chicken breasts are smothered in BBQ sauce and covered in bacon, then baked with cheese melted over the top!
If you want the cheat’s version you could just use a bought BBQ sauce, it makes it quicker- but actually this little BBQ sauce is so quick and easy to make that it really isn’t much extra trouble so that the whole dish is cooked from scratch.
I love to cook this type of dish in the blue edged, enamel dishes as I think it just looks so nice when you serve it up!
I also sprinkle over a few leaves of whichever herbs I have and maybe a little drizzle of chilli sauce.
I usually serve this with asparagus/green beans, sweetcorn and sweet potato fries and wedges. You can’t beat it!
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- For the BBQ sauce:
- 1 onion peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 125 ml tomato passata
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp sweetener
- salt and pepper
- For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 bacon medallions
- 60 g cheddar cheese sliced
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- low calorie cooking spray/spray oil
- Fry the onion until soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add app of the the sauce ingredients, stir, and simmer gently for a few minutes allowing the sauce to thicken
- Slit chicken breasts down the middle to make a pocket
- When the sauce is ready, spread a spoonful inside each chicken breast
- Wrap 2 bacon slices around each chicken breast and place the chicken in a baking tin
- Pop into an oven (pre-heated to 190c) for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and spoon some BBQ sauce over each chicken breast. Divide the sliced cheese over the 2 breasts, sprinkle over the mixed herbs and pop back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling on top.