A tasty Mexican layered lasagne
Mexican is my go-to cuisine when I’m not sure what to cook as I just love the flavours, and it’s a great way to pack in lots of healthy vegetables and beans! I try to always keep a batch of my fajita spice mix in a jam jar on the shelf to speed up the cooking process.
This Mexican lasagne is made up of a fajita style mix- chicken, onions and peppers, layered with thinly sliced butternut squash, filling pinto and black beans, salsa style tomatoes and melted cheese. It’s a fantastic dish to cook for a big group of people, or to make in a batch for reheating for lunches and dinners during the week. I also make this dish using sweet potato (see my Mexican layered bake)
The other great thing about this dish if you are following Slimming World is that it can be used as an SP meal. If you aren’t sure how Extra Easy SP works then have a look at this article by Basement Bakehouse explaining it!
I have found tins of black beans and pinto beans in Tesco and Asda- I always stock up on these when I see them as they are so useful! If you can’t get hold of the tins then most supermarkets will have the dried versions, which will require pre-cooking which is why I prefer the tinned ones.
If you’ve ever struggled peeling a butternut squash, have you tried with a potato peeler? I find this by far the easiest way to get the skin removed- I used to struggle with a knife and end up losing quite a lot of the flesh! Some supermarkets sell the pre-made butternut squash lasagne sheets which are perfect if you are in a hurry!
I have been through a lot of potato peelers in my time and this one by Oxo Good Grips is by far the best one that I’ve owned- perfect for butternut squash peeling!
Looking for other tasty Mexican style recipes that are also Slimming World friendly? Why not try these?
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- 1 butternut squash approx 700-800g peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 chicken breasts diced small
- 2 onions peeled, halved and then sliced
- 2 peppers I used red and yellow de-seeded and sliced
- 1 batch of my Fajita Spice Mix 1 tsp chilli flakes, 1.5 tsp cumin, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tin of pre-cooked black beans drained
- 1 tin pre-cooked pinto beans drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- a handful of sliced jalapenos from a jar finely chopped
- 120 g cheddar cheese grated
- Low calorie cooking spray or spray oil if you prefer
- Coriander and lime to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180c. Heat a wok or large frying pan with cooking spray (or spray oil) and throw in the onion, stir frying for about 4 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add in the chopped chicken and stir fry for a further 4 minutes until no pink is showing
- Add in the chopped peppers, and the fajita spices, stir well, and and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring every now and then
- In a good sized baking dish, spread half of the chicken fajita mix over the bottom of the dish,cover with half of the sliced butternut squash, sprinkle over half of the black beans/pinto beans, then spoon over half of the tin of chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle on half of the chopped jalapenos and then half of the grated cheddar.
- Repeat the layers (fajita mix, butternut squash, black beans/pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, cheese)
- Pop into the oven and bake for 50 minutes until the cheese on top is golden, and the butternut squash is cooked through.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges and coriander, and a lime dressed crunchy salad.