Chicken fajita traybake
An easy and hands-free way to make a tasty chicken fajita mix
Chicken fajitas are a staple in my household- I never get tired of them! It’s often a Saturday night dinner for my husband and I, but equally I don’t like a meal that involves me standing over a pan on a Saturday night (I’d rather be sitting in front of the fire drinking a glass of wine!). That’s why I tried these as a traybake (or sheet pan) style meal- you can prep it all, pop it in the oven and go and sit down while it cooks, what’s not to love?!
I actually really love the Old El Paso BBQ fajita seasoning, but on Slimming World it is 5 syns, and that seems a real waste of syns to me as herbs and spices are syn free! That’s why I made up my own seasoning mix which is JUST as delicious, but doesn’t contain any syns. It’s a combination of 8 herbs and spices, which you might think is a bit faffy but it only takes 5 minutes to pull together, and while you are at it you can just make a big batch so it’s ready to go whenever you need it!
You can serve this however you fancy, with wraps, lettuce, salsa, refried beans, black beans, jalapenos, cheese… I’ve got recipes for all of these, or you can buy them if you on’t have the time to make from scratch.
Fancy making your own refried beans? Here’s my refried beans recipe!
This slow-cooker salsa also goes brilliantly.
Do you fancy turning the fajita chicken into a full-on Mexican bake? The have a look at these ideas:
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Chicken fajita traybake
- 3 chicken breasts sliced into strips
- 2 onions halved and then sliced
- 3 peppers I use red, orange and yellow de-seeded and cut into strips
- 1 batch of my Fajita Spice Mix 1 tsp chilli flakes, 1.5 tsp cumin, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Low calorie cooking spray or spray oil if you prefer
- Coriander and lime to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c
- Use a deep, non-stick baking tray- spray the bottom with low calorie cooking spray (or line with baking paper), and spread the onions, peppers and chicken even over the bottom of the tray
- Sprinkle the fajita spice mix evenly over the top, and give it all a shuffle around to coat
- Spray the top with low calorie cooking spray (or spray oil)
- Pop into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, and the peppers and onions are cooked and very slightly charred.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges and coriander