A simple to make but very tasty cauliflower and lentil dal that makes a perfect easy weeknight option
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 cauliflower (pulled apart into bitesize chunks)
- 1 pack (200g approx green beans, topped and tailed)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 g red split lentils
- 1/2 pot (250g 0% fat Greek yoghurt)
- 1 vegetable stock cube/pot
- salt & pepper
- 200 ml water
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Halve, peel and finely chop the onion. finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Roughly chop the coriander. Trim the tops from the green beans and chop them into thirds.
- Heat low calorie cooking spray in a large saucepan/casserole dish and put on medium-low heat. Add the onion and slowly cook for 5 mins, then add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. TIP: If the onion starts to brown turn the heat down a bit. Once the onion is soft, add the curry powder and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomato purée and then add the chopped tomatoes. Add the red lentils, the 200ml water and the vegetable stock pot. Stir to dissolve the stock pot. Bring to a gentle simmer, put a lid on and leave for 5 mins.
- Add the cauliflower, cover with the lid again, and simmer gently for 6 minutes
- Add the green beans, stir, replace lid, and simmer for another 6 minutes.
- Stir through most of the coriander and about 2/3 of the yoghurt. TIP: At this stage it’s crucial to taste for seasoning – have a spoonful and add more salt and pepper to lift the flavours to their max if necessary!
- Serve the dal in a bowl with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and add the remaining coriander sprinkled on top. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes