Warming cauliflower and lentil dal
A simple to make but very tasty cauliflower and lentil dal that makes a perfect easy weeknight option
WARMING CAULIFLOWER AND LENTIL DAL
Disclosure: This is a commissioned recipe post for HelloFresh
You have probably heard of HelloFresh- they are the UK’s top recipe box company, but what you might not know it that they also have a huge selection of their recipes available online for anyone wanting to cook the recipes themselves at home!
I have joined up with HelloFresh to cook one of their many recipes at home, and the one that I chose was this warming cauliflower dal!
One of my favourite ways to enjoy vegetables (and especially cauliflower!) is in a curry- and I thought that this looked both simple and tasty. With the addition of lentils, this really becomes a one-pot meal that is very simple to make!
HOW IS THIS WARMING COULIFLOWER DAL MADE?
I love how easy this HelloFresh recipe is to do- there are step-by-step instructions with pictures to follow along with as well, and realistic timings.
These are the ingredients that this recipe used (see below for full list and amounts):
1. Dice the onion, finely chop the garlic and pull the cauliflower into bitesize chunks
2. Gently fry the onion for a few minutes
3. Add the garlic, fry for another minute and then add the curry powder
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and some salt and pepper and stir well
5. Add in red lentils, a vegetable stock cube/pot and some water. Simmer gently for 5 minutes
6. Add the cauliflower, pop a lid on and simmer gently for 6 minutes
7. Add in the green beans, simmer for another 6 minutes
8. Add the chopped coriander and 3/4 of the yoghurt and serve immediately
I served up the warming cauliflower dal with some simple homemade wholemeal flatbreads
Of course HelloFresh also does recipe boxes where you will receive all of the ingredients that you need to make a healthy meal from scratch. There are a range to choose from, the classic box, family favourites, or rapid (recipes that take less than 20 minutes). If you are interested in trying out the recipe boxes you can receive £10 off your first order with HelloFresh by clicking here!
Warming cauliflower and lentil dal with HelloFresh
- 1 onion diced
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 cauliflower pulled apart into bitesize chunks
- 1 pack 200g approx green beans, topped and tailed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 g red split lentils
- 1/2 pot 250g 0% fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 vegetable stock cube/pot
- salt & pepper
- 200 ml water
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Halve, peel and finely chop the onion. finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Roughly chop the coriander. Trim the tops from the green beans and chop them into thirds.
- Heat low calorie cooking spray in a large saucepan/casserole dish and put on medium-low heat. Add the onion and slowly cook for 5 mins, then add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. TIP: If the onion starts to brown turn the heat down a bit. Once the onion is soft, add the curry powder and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomato purée and then add the chopped tomatoes. Add the red lentils, the 200ml water and the vegetable stock pot. Stir to dissolve the stock pot. Bring to a gentle simmer, put a lid on and leave for 5 mins.
- Add the cauliflower, cover with the lid again, and simmer gently for 6 minutes
- Add the green beans, stir, replace lid, and simmer for another 6 minutes.
- Stir through most of the coriander and about 2/3 of the yoghurt. TIP: At this stage it’s crucial to taste for seasoning – have a spoonful and add more salt and pepper to lift the flavours to their max if necessary!
- Serve the dal in a bowl with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and add the remaining coriander sprinkled on top. Enjoy!