Slow cooker chicken tikka masala
Satisfyingly creamy and saucy chicken tikka masala, unbelievably easy to do in the slow cooker.
TICK-TOCK TIKKA MASALA
I don’t think you can beat a steaming bowl of creamy, fragrant chicken tikka masala, and being able to just put it in the slow-cooker and leave it to do its thing is so satisfying.
Takeaway and ready meal versions of this are usually packed with calories, but this is just as delicious (if not more so).
This recipe has always been one of the most popular on my blog, and you can also find it on p.166 of my cookbook The Slimming Foodie where it is called ‘Tick-tock tikka masala’ -I actually called it that because of the slow-cooking, but as my book was released alongside the growing popularity of TikTok, it’s often labelled as TikTok tikka masala on social media!
(See a recipe video on TikTok here)
Coconut milk varies hugely in the amount of syns (if you are following Slimming World) or calories .
Make sure you check yourself for the brand that you have in order to get an accurate calorie count or to calculate the syns per portion.
The very best (light) coconut milk that I have found is the Essential Waitrose Reduced fat coconut milk (12 syns for a 400ml can). There is a lot of variation between brands, so make sure to check what you are buying! The syns in this recipe are based on the total amount of coconut milk used being 6 syns.
This recipe used half of the tin of coconut milk. You could make a double batch of chicken tikka masala and freeze the leftovers, or you can just simply freeze the leftover coconut milk for another meal.
HOW TO PREVENT THE YOGHURT FROM SPLITTING IN THE SAUCE
It’s important to follow the step of adding the yoghurt on top of the curry to warm through before stirring it in, as this stops the yoghurt from curdling/splitting and creates a smooth and creamy sauce.
CAN I MAKE THIS IN THE OVEN RATHER THAN THE SLOW COOKER?
This is also great cooked in the oven if you don’t have a slow-cooker, or want it to be ready more quickly.
Simply start by frying the chicken in low-calorie cooking spray in a flameproof casserole dish for about 5 minutes.
Add the ginger and garlic nd stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
Stir through the spices and salt for about a mnute, then add the passata and coconut milk .
Put into an oven preheated to 180c for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven, spoon on the yoghurt and cornflour mixture, give it a couple of minutes to warm through, then stir through before serving.
I DON’T HAVE A SLOW COOKER, SHOULD I GET ONE?
Here are all of the reasons that I love my slow-cooker!
Slow cooker chicken tikka masala (Tick-tock tikka masala)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cardamom pods (remove when serving)
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breasts chopped into chunks (make this 3 if the breasts are very large)
- 250 ml tomato passata
- 200 ml reduced fat coconut milk
- 100 g fat-free Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Nigella seeds to serve
- chopped fresh coriander (optional) to serve
- Put the ginger, garlic, spices, salt, chicken, passata and coconut milk into the slow cooker bowl.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. When cooked, uncover and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the yoghurt and cornflour together in a small bowl. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the yoghurt mixture on top of the curry and leave it a couple of minutes to warmthrough (this brings up the temperature of the yoghurt, to prevent curdling). Now stir the yoghurt mixture into the curry, replace the lid, and leave for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Remove your cardamom pods, if you can find them (or warn your guests to do so!), and serve sprinkled with nigella seeds.
- Serve with basmati rice. Sprinkle with fresh coriander (if using).
This is the best healthy chicken tikka masala recipe I have ever tried!
Is it possible to substitute the coconut milk due to allergies
Can I use dairy free yogurt as a sub? Our daughter can’t eat dairy…
I haven’t tried it with dairy free yoghurt but I would have thought this should work
Could you tell me the calorie count? It’s not displaying correctly for some reason. It looks delicious! Thank you x
This looks delicious. Do you fry off the chicken before it goes in the slow cooker?
I’d love to try this but is it freezer friendly ?
Yes this is freezer friendly
Can I do this in ninja foodi
I love this recipe! I was just wondering if I doubled up the recipe would I also double up the spices or would that make it too hot?