Satisfyingly creamy and sauce chicken tikka masala, unbelievably easy to do in the slow cooker
Syns: 2 per portion
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cardamom pods ((remove when serving))
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breasts (chopped into chunks (make this 3 if the breasts are very large))
- 250 ml tomato passata
- 200 ml reduced fat coconut milk
- 100 g fat-free Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Nigella seeds (to serve)
- chopped fresh coriander (optional) (to serve)
- Put the ginger, garlic, spices, salt, chicken, passata and coconut milk into the slow cooker bowl.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. When cooked, uncover and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the yoghurt and cornflour together in a small bowl. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the yoghurt mixture on top of the curry and leave it a couple of minutes to warm
through (this brings up the temperature of the yoghurt, to prevent curdling). Now stir the yoghurt mixture into the curry, replace the lid, and leave for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Remove your cardamom pods, if you can find them (or warn your guests to do so!), and serve sprinkled with nigella seeds.
- Serve with basmati rice. Sprinkle with fresh coriander (if using).
I always like to garnish my chicken tikka masala with a few nigella seeds when I serve it, it just looks so pretty!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes