A rich and delicious bolognese which is super quick to throw together!
Syns: less than 1 per portion
- 2 onions (peeled and ends removed)
- 3 sticks celery (end and stringy bits removed)
- 3 carrots (ends removed and washed)
- 4 cloves garlic (skins removed)
- 750 g lean beef mince
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 beef stock cube or stockpot
- 1/2 tbsp sugar or sweetener
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray
- fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 120c. Chuck all of the veg into a food processor and blend until chopped small.
- Heat a non-stick, large pan (one with a lid) with low calorie cooking spray and throw in the veg. Fry gently, stirring every now and again for about 5 minutes.
- Pop your beef mince into the food processor and pulse to chop the meat up a bit more finely
- Spray a fryng pan with frylight and fry the beef mince on a high heat until browned, breaking up any clumps.
- After the veg have cooked for 5 mins, add the the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cube, soy sauce, sugar/sweetener, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Bring up to a fast simmer and add in the mince. Stir well, pop on the lid and place in the oven for about 3 hours. (check after 2 hours to stir)
- Serve with spaghetti and loads of parsley sprinkled over the top.
I whizz up the ingredients in the food processor as my kids like it much more without the ‘bits’ in. Of course you can just finely chop the vegetables and add the mince as it is. I have chosen to slow cook this as I think it tastes better, however if you don’t have time, just leave it simmering on the hob, uncovered for about 40 minutes and it should still be delicious.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours