Lemon chicken penne
A lovely fresh and delicious summery pasta dish
We have a favourite new roast chicken recipe from my newest cookbook, Sirocco ( absolutely amazing book by the way!)– it uses the zest of 2 oranges and 2 lemons, so I needed to find a way to use the juice so it wouldn’t go to waste (we just drank the orange!). I’ve often mixed seafood with lemon and pasta, but never chicken, so this recipe was a bit of an experiment but I thought it was a winner! My kids love this too, without the chilli.
I have loads of chicken breasts at the moment as I have just had through my latest Musclefood order for the freezer (there’s a fab offer on a lean meat hamper at the moment- click here to see– this includes 24 chicken breasts. To get this hamper for £50 instead of £75.70 you just need to enter the discount code FOODIE50 at checkout)
If you are following Slimming World, I have counted the parmesan in this as part of healthy extra A, but you will need to add syns for it if you don’t want to do this.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Lemon chicken penne
- 150 g penne pasta
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thigh fillets, chopped into pieces
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- a handful of fresh parsley finely chopped
- 30 g parmesan finely grated
- salt and pepper
- 100 g green beans topped and tailed and chopped in half
- Pop the pasta onto cook
- Melt the butter in a deep frying pan, then add the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir fry the chicken on a medium-high heat for a couple of minutes, then add in the chopped garlic and dried chilli. Stir fry on a medium heat for another 2-3 minutes (don't allow garlic to brown)
- Pour the lemon juice into the garlicky chicken mixture and stir well, leave simmering gently until your pasta is cooked.
- When the pasta only has a couple of minutes remaining, add in the green beans to cook with it. Then once the pasta is cooked, drain it, and then stir through the lemony chicken so it's well coated in the juices and flavours.
- Add in the fresh chopped parsley and stir through. Serve topped with parmesan and more freshly ground black pepper.