A delicious Mexican-inspired bake.
Syns: Depends on which ingredients you have used- syn- free if using homemade salsa and refried beans
Healthy extra: 1/2 A (cheese), 1/2 B (weight watchers wraps)
- For fajita spice mix: 1tsp chilli flakes (1.5 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder)
- 3 chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper (deseeded and chopped up)
- 120 g basmati rice (uncooked weight, cooked according to packet instructions)
- Salsa (either use a jar or my recipe- https://www.theslimmingfoodie.com/slow-cooker-salsa/)
- Refried beans (either use Old El Paso, or my homemade recipe: https://www.theslimmingfoodie.com/homemade-refried-beans-frijoles-negros/)
- 60 g grated cheddar
- jalapenos from a jar
- 2 wraps (I used weight watchers ones- you can get rectangular or circular depending what suits your oven dish!)
- Low calorie cooking spray or spray oil
- Fresh coriander and lime to serve if you fancy!
- Pre-heat oven to 180c. In a small bowl, mix together the fajita spices
- Using low calorie cooking spray or spray oil, fry the chicken for a few minutes until no pink is showing, and then add the onions and peppers. Stir-fry for about 7 minutes.
- Add in the fajita spices, stir fry for about 3 minutes and set aside.
- In an oven proof dish, spoon in half of the cooked rice, and spread over the bottom. Spoon over half of the refried beans, then half of the chicken mix, a few spoons of salsa, and half the cheese. Cover over with one wrap.
- Go on to the next layer, adding again rice, refried beans and fajita chicken. Cover with a wrap then spread over with salsa, sprinkle with cheese and top with jalapenos.
- Bake at 180c for 35 minutes until the cheese is browned.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander and a slice of lime.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes