A delicious Mexican-inspired bake.
This was my solution for not eating loads of wraps when I have fajitas or enchiladas! it’s layered up like a lasagne, using loads of yummy Mexican layers! In this one I used my homemade refried beans (recipe here) and salsa (recipe here), but you can use the Old El Paso refried beans, and jarred salsa to make it a less labour intensive dish if you want! I just happened to already have leftovers of the beans and salsa from other meals!
If you are following Slimming World you can use the Bfree wraps as a healthy extra B, and the cheese as healthy extra A. I haven’t put a syn value on this dish as it depends on the elements that you use. the fajita homemade mix is free, and if you use my salsa and refried bean recipes they are also syn free. Old el Paso refried beans are free, but most salsas do have syns, around 4 syns per jar but it depends which one you use.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
- For fajita spice mix: 1tsp chilli flakes 1.5 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3 chicken breasts diced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper deseeded and chopped up
- 120 g basmati rice uncooked weight, cooked according to packet instructions
- Salsa either use a jar or my recipe- https://www.theslimmingfoodie.com/slow-cooker-salsa/
- Refried beans either use Old El Paso, or my homemade recipe: https://www.theslimmingfoodie.com/homemade-refried-beans-frijoles-negros/
- 60 g grated cheddar
- jalapenos from a jar
- 2 wraps I used weight watchers ones- you can get rectangular or circular depending what suits your oven dish!
- Low calorie cooking spray or spray oil
- Fresh coriander and lime to serve if you fancy!
- Pre-heat oven to 180c. In a small bowl, mix together the fajita spices
- Using low calorie cooking spray or spray oil, fry the chicken for a few minutes until no pink is showing, and then add the onions and peppers. Stir-fry for about 7 minutes.
- Add in the fajita spices, stir fry for about 3 minutes and set aside.
- In an oven proof dish, spoon in half of the cooked rice, and spread over the bottom. Spoon over half of the refried beans, then half of the chicken mix, a few spoons of salsa, and half the cheese. Cover over with one wrap.
- Go on to the next layer, adding again rice, refried beans and fajita chicken. Cover with a wrap then spread over with salsa, sprinkle with cheese and top with jalapenos.
- Bake at 180c for 35 minutes until the cheese is browned.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander and a slice of lime.