Chilli con carne
A rich, dark, smoky chilli con carne
CHILLI CON CARNE
Chilli con carne is one of my all time favourite meals, and I love to try out new ways of making it. Traditionally we always used to have chilli on a Saturday night, piled onto tortilla chips with cheese melted over the top, and homemade guacamole on the side. This is a healthier take on a delicious chilli meal- I serve this with ‘brocamole’ (click here for the recipe) and cauliflower rice makes a great rice substitute, but this is also lovely served with nutty brown rice.
Chilli con carne
A rich, dark, smoky chilli con carneSyns: less than 1 per portionPrint Recipe
- 500 g lean beef mince less that 5% fat
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp crushed dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 250 ml freshly brewed strong coffee or 1 tbsp of instant coffee if you don’t have fresh
- 1 tbsp date nectar or brown sugar
- 1 beef stock cube
- salt and pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray or spray oil
- Heat the spray oil or cooking spray in a large pan over a low heat and fry the onion until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the meat, turn up the heat and brown all over, breaking up lumps as you go (about 5 minutes)
- Stir through the garlic, chillies, cumin, paprika and bay leaf and fry for a further 1 minute. Add the tomato purée, tomatoes, beans, coffee, soy sauce, date nectar (or sugar) and crumbled stock cube. Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the mixture has thickened.
- Once thick and rich, season to taste, remove the bay leaf and serve garnished with coriander.
Tried this recipe?Mention @the_slimming_foodie or tag #theslimmingfoodie!