A gorgeous Jamie Oliver recipe, adapted slightly to be Slimming World friendly
Syns: 1.5 per portion
- 1 kg approx piece of beef brisket, all visible fat removed (you’ll need a good sharp knife)
- 1 head of celery (trimmed and chopped into chunks)
- 4 small red onions (peeled and quartered)
- 1/2 a bunch rosemary
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 lemon
- 700 g passata
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- a few drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 tbsp vodka (4 syns)
- 1 tbsp port (1.5 syns)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (6 syns)
- Preheat the oven to 130c
- Season the brisket (fat trimmed away) with salt and pepper. Place a casserole pan (approx 25cm wide, 10cm high) over a high heat and add the olive oil
- Put the brisket into the pan and sear all over for 10 minutes, turning to ensure all sides are browned.
- Add the onion and celery to the pan, reduce the heat and cook gently for 5-10 minutes until slightly softened.
- In a jug or bowl, mix the lemon juice, passata, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, vodka and port together.
- Pour the bloody mary mix into the beef pan along with 500ml cold water and some salt and pepper. Pop in the rosemary and bay and bring to the boil.
- Take off the heat and cover the casserole dish with damp greaseproof paper and tin foil.
- Cook in the oven for 5-6 hours until the meat is tender and falling apart
Jamie serves this with horseradish mash and kale.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours