Bloody Mary Beef
A gorgeous jamie oliver recipe, adapted slightly to be slimming world friendly
BLOODY MARY BEEF
I’ve been dying to try out this recipe as it looked mouth-wateringly good in the Jamie’s Comfort Food book (click here). I’ve neglected this book since starting Slimming World as a lot of the food in it is pretty decadent, but when I looked again at this recipe I realised that it’s actually very Slimming World friendly! I made a couple of small adjustments but it makes a gorgeous, rich meal with very few syns.
Bloody Mary Beef
A gorgeous Jamie Oliver recipe, adapted slightly to be Slimming World friendlySyns: 1.5 per portionPrint Recipe
- 1 kg approx piece of beef brisket, all visible fat removed (you’ll need a good sharp knife)
- 1 head of celery trimmed and chopped into chunks
- 4 small red onions peeled and quartered
- 1/2 a bunch rosemary
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 lemon
- 700 g passata
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- a few drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 tbsp vodka 4 syns
- 1 tbsp port 1.5 syns
- 1 tbsp olive oil 6 syns
- Preheat the oven to 130c
- Season the brisket (fat trimmed away) with salt and pepper. Place a casserole pan (approx 25cm wide, 10cm high) over a high heat and add the olive oil
- Put the brisket into the pan and sear all over for 10 minutes, turning to ensure all sides are browned.
- Add the onion and celery to the pan, reduce the heat and cook gently for 5-10 minutes until slightly softened.
- In a jug or bowl, mix the lemon juice, passata, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, vodka and port together.
- Pour the bloody mary mix into the beef pan along with 500ml cold water and some salt and pepper. Pop in the rosemary and bay and bring to the boil.
- Take off the heat and cover the casserole dish with damp greaseproof paper and tin foil.
- Cook in the oven for 5-6 hours until the meat is tender and falling apart
Jamie serves this with horseradish mash and kale.
Tried this recipe?Mention @the_slimming_foodie or tag #theslimmingfoodie!