A hearty, warming vegetarian chilli ‘con carne’ with a balance of spicy, smoky and sweet flavours. Packed with healthy beans and vegetables this is the best healthy comfort food.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- Low calorie cooking spray or spray oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 350ml water
- 400g can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 400g can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Handful of chopped, fresh coriander (to serve)
- For the spice mix
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/180 °C fan, Gas Mark 6.
- Mix all of the spices for the spice mix together in a small bowl.
- In a large ovenproof casserole dish, fry the onion, celery and leek in low calorie cooking spray or spray oil for 10 minutes, then add the garlic, carrots and peppers. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, water, black beans and pinto beans, then add the tomato purée, soy sauce, vinegar and spice mix and stir everything together thoroughly.
- Bring up to a rapid simmer, then put a lid on and place in the oven to cook for 1 hour. When ready, thechilli should be a rich, dark colour and the vegetables should all be tender.
- Serve scattered with coriander
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main course
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chilli, vegetarian, chili, red pepper, black beans, pinto beans,