Delicious comfort food!
Syns: 2 per portion
- 700 g lean casserole steak/stewing steak
- 3 onions (finely chopped)
- 3 sticks celery (finely chopped)
- 3 carrots (chopped into small chunks)
- 500 ml ale
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 g passata (crushed tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 beef stock cube
- salt and pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Fry the onions in low calorie cooking spray until softened (about 7 minutes) and add the celery, stir fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add the beef (having removed any visible fat) and fry gently until browned on the outside
- Add in the flour, and stir through to coat the beef.
- Pour in the ale and bring to a simmer.
- Add the passata, tomato puree, crumbled beef stock cube and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaves.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 10-12 hours
It’s a silly thing, but I really like my beef casserole to look dark and rich so sometimes add a spoonful of dark soy sauce at the end to make it look darker! You can make this an all in one meal by adding chopped potato/and or sweet potato a couple of hours before the end of cooking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes