A zingy chicken curry served in a bun- perfect comfort food!
Syns: 1 per portion
- 4 wholemeal bread rolls (60g each)
- 8 chicken thighs (diced (any excess fat removed))
- 2 onions (finely sliced)
- 4 to matoes (chopped)
- 2 large potatoes (roughly diced (no need to peel))
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- thumb-sized piece of ginger (peeled and grated)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 heaped tbsp curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 tbsp Nando’s hot peri-peri sauce
- large handful coriander (chopped)
- 2 tbsp cornflour (mixed with a little water to make a smooth paste)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a wide, deep pan (a large frying pan if you have one!)
- Add in the onion, garlic and ginger and stir fry gently for 3-4 minutes
- Add in the chicken, and stir fry for another 3-4 minutes until no longer pink
- Add in the curry powder, tomatoes, potatoes, crumbled chicken stock, bay leaves and Nando’s sauce. Stir well and then cover in boiling water.
- Mix thoroughly and bring to the boil, then put on a low heat and simmer very gently for 1 hour
- Add in the cornflour (it just needs to be mixed with enough water to make a thin, not lumpy paste), stir, and simmer gently for another 10 minutes
- Finally add in the frozen peas, most of the coriander and some salt and pepper. Leave on a gentle simmer while you prepare the bread rolls
- Slice off the top of the bread roll, and then use a spoon to scoop out the middle of the bread roll. Press around the bottom and the edges of the roll to compress a little.
- Spoon in the curry, and then pop the top back on the roll. Serve sprinkled with the remaining coriander.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes