An American classic
Healthy extra: B
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 500 g lean mince (5% fat)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 sweet potato (grated)
- 1 dessert spoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef oxo cube
- 1 dessert spoon soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh chopped oregano (or dry if you don’t have fresh)
- 4 60g wholemeal bread rolls
- Use Frylight to gently fry the chopped onion (about 10 minutes) until it’s well softened. Add the garlic, and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the mince and stir fry until it is browned – breaking it up with the spoon as you go so you don’t get clumps
- Add the tinned tomatoes, and bring to a simmer
- Add in the grated carrot, grated sweet potato, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, tomato puree, oregano, sweetener and sprinkle over the beef oxo. Stir well, season and leave on a low simmer. I like to simmer mine for at least an hour so that it’s all really nicely blended and the tomatoes break down, but you could give it half an hour if you were in a hurry!
- Serve in a wholemeal roll (healthy extra B) with whatever you fancy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour