A delicious side dish to any Persian feast!
Syns: 3.5 per portion
- 450 g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp saffron (soaked in boiling water for 10 mins)
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse the rice really thoroughly under the cold tap, turning over with your hand to get to as much as possible
- Place the rice in a large bowl of cold water and soak for 30 minutes
- Heat the butter over a medium heat, add the onions, and fry for about 5 minutes until they are translucent and starting to brown a little
- Add turmeric, sumac, cranberries and salt to the onion, stir fry for 1 minute and then add in about 2 tbsp water and stir fry until the water has soaking into the cranberries. Remove from heat.
- Fill a large pan with water, and bring to the boil. Drain the rice, add it to the boiling water, and simmer it for 8 minutes.
- Drain the rice, and rinse it under cold water.
- Add the olive oil into the large pan, add the rice back in, and pout the saffron water over it evenly. Top with the cranberry mixture.
- wrap the lid of the pot with a tea towel, and pop it on top of the pot.
- Cook the rice on a high heat for 3 minutes, then turn the heat down very low and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes