Pea and mint soup with green chilli cheese toasties
This pea and mint soup is as quick as they come and tastes so good that you’d never know it only took you 15 minutes to make.
PEA AND MINT SOUP WITH GREEN CHILLI CHEESE TOASTIES
This is a great recipe for those days when your cupboards are bare- if you’re like me you’ll always have peas in the freezer and at least an old onion hanging around and you can whip up this fresh-tasting soup so quickly! It’s a go-to for me when I’ve got unexpected guests coming or have just run out of other healthy options for lunch. It’s perfectly lovely without the green chilli cheese toasties, but I think they make it into something really rather special, and only use up 1/2 of your healthy extra A & B allowance! The recipe for the toasties is in the footnote.
Pea and mint soup
This pea and mint soup is as quick as they come and tastes so good that you’d never know it only took you 15 minutes to make!Syn-freePrint Recipe
- 5 spring onions peeled and chopped (or a regular onion if you don’t have spring)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cube vegetable stock or 3 teaspoons Marigold vegetable bouillon
- 750 ml boiled water
- 500 grams frozen peas or fresh if you want to!
- a small bunch of fresh mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a large pan on high heat and spray with Frylight. Add the chopped onions and garlic and sautee for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Put the stock into a jug with the hot water. Stir until it’s dissolved.
- Add the stock and peas to the vegetables (if you are using frozen peas there is no need to defrost them).
- Stir and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat, put the lid on and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When the peas have softened, remove the pan from heat, season with salt and pepper and add the mint leaves.
- Using a blender (or hand blender) pulse the summer pea and mint soup until smooth.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint (and fat free fromage frais if you fancy!)
Green chilli cheese toasties (these amounts serve 1): 1 slice wholemeal bread (from a 400g loaf) (this is ½ your Healthy Extra B for the day), 1 triangle Dairylea Light, 10g Reduced fat cheddar, grated (both cheeses together are half of your Healthy Extra A Allowance), 1 green chilli, finely chopped. Toast your bread, spread over the Daiylea and then sprinkle over the chopped chilli. Sprinkle over the grated cheddar, and grill for around 5 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned. Just a quick tip- whatever you do, don’t overcook the peas or this will start to taste flat- if you just cook them for ten minutes it really tastes like a fresh pea soup! If you want to spice it up a little more, add a chopped green chilli into the soup at the stage where you are frying the onions.
Tried this recipe?Mention @the_slimming_foodie or tag #theslimmingfoodie!