An easy and tasty meal for the whole family
Syns: 1 per portion
- 250 g long-grain rice
- 3–4 chicken breasts (enough to feed 4)
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 600 ml chicken stock
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- parmesan to serve (if you fancy it!)
- salt and pepper
- 200 g fine green beans (or green veg of your choice- see note) (topped and tailed)
- Coat the chicken breasts with the garlic granules (1 tsp), 1 tsp dried parsley and season with salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large bottomed pan (one that has a lid), spread the butter over the bottom of the pan and place the chicken breasts in to fry. Fry on a high heat for 2 minutes each side until browned, and then set aside (it doesn’t matter that they aren’t cooked through)
- Stir the rice over the bottom of the pan, and then add in the stock, 1 tsp dried parsley, the lemon zest and the lemon juice. Stir well
- Bring to a simmer and then turn the heat down to low. Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice and cover the pan with the lid. Leave cooking gently for 15 minutes. When there is just 5 minutes of cooking time left, add the green beans onto the top of the rice/chicken, and then keep cooking with the lid on.
- Check that the chicken is cooked through, and serve
Any green veg which can be steamed can replace the green beans in this. Broccoli, asparagus, sugarsnap peas or even frozen peas.
Try some freshly grated parmesan sprinkled over the top!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes