A delicious and filling pasty- perfect for summer picnics, road trips and days out on the beach!
Syns: 0.5 per portion
Healthy extras: A&B
- 1/2 of a 500g bag wholemeal bread mix (250g)
- 4 portobello mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 60 g cheese (grated)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Make up half of the 500g packet of wholemeal bread mix into a dough (so add half of the amount of water outlined in the instructions)
- Once you have formed the dough, knead for a couple of minutes (you do not need to now follow the packet instructions as you will be making this up differently)
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces, and roll into balls. (you may need some flour on your hands to do this to prevent sticking). Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, then add the finely chopped mushroom and stir fry on a medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and oregano and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Now, take one of your balls of dough, and use the heel of your hand and your fingertips to squash it down into a circle (approx 12cm across)
- Using a teaspoon, spread a little tomato puree (apprx 1/4 tsp) around the middle of the circle
- Spoon in about 1.5 tbsp of the mushroom mix into the middle, and then sprinkle over some cheese (approx 10g per pasty)
- You now need to fold over the top of the pasty, to form a semi-circle, and seal the filling inside. Use your fingers to press along the curved edge. You can create a crimped look by turning over a little bit of the edge and then pressing down on it.
- Use a pastry brush to egg-wash the top of the pasty. Repeat until you have made all 6.
- Bake at 180c for about 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Delicious served warm or cold.
Add a little sweet chilli sauce into the mushroom mixture for a little kick, or some sriracha if you fancy it really spicy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes