Sweet potato is delicious way of replacing the pastry in this tasty quiche!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 6 free range eggs
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 150 g mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- Large handful baby spinach (roughly chopped)
- salt and pepper
- low calorie cooking spray
- 60 g cheddar (grated)
- Pre-heat oven to 180c. Peel and grate the sweet potato
- Cover the bottom of a pie or quiche dish with baking paper (avoid a dish with a removable bottom as the egg can leak through the crust)
- Spray the baking paper with low calorie cooking spray
- Pat the sweet potato down inside the pie dish, covering the bottom and sides- there needs to be a generous covering as it does shrink during cooking and you don’t want to leave big gaps
- Bake the sweet potato crust for about 30 minutes (check after 20 to make sure it isn’t burning)
- Whilst it is baking, fry the onions in low calorie cooking spray until soft, and add in the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add the chopped spinach and mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the cooled onion and garlic.
- Remove the crust from the oven, pour in the egg mixture, and sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar. Season again
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown
Perfect served with a balsamic dressed mixed-leaf salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour