I love making Christmassy sweets and treats- here’s something you can make without being tempted with something full of syns!
Syns: 2 syns each
- 10 scan bran (1 packet)
- 6 tbsp chocolate spread
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 25 g white chocolate
- 10 g icing sugar
- 2–3 tsp boiling water
- red and green writing icing (optional)
- 1 orange (just the zest)
- In a food processor, whizz up your scan bran into fine breadcrumbs
- Add the chocolate spread, golden syrup and orange zest and whizz until well combined (you may need to scrape around the sides with a spatula a couple of times)
- Roll this mixture into 20 balls (about the size of a walnut), they should stick together easily, but if too crumbly you can try adding a little extra golden syrup (it’s not always easy to measure an exact tablespoon so you may have just been a little short)
- Place the balls onto a tin foil covered baking tray and pop into the fridge
- To make the topping, melt the white chocolate in a small bowl (I use the microwave for this, but be careful not to burn!)
- Stir the white chocolate well until it is lovely and smooth
- In a seperate little bowl, add 2 tsp boiling water to your icing sugar and stir well (it should be a fairly loose consistency, so that if you held up the teaspoon it would drop slowly off), if too thick add a tiny bit more water
- Stir the icing sugar intot he white chocolate until well combined
- Using 2 teaspoons, spoon a little carefully over each chocolate ball and pop back into the fridge
- I used writing icing to make the holly and berry effect, but I’m sure there must be some lovely christmassy sprinkles around that you could try!
The whole batch comes to 40 syns. I have worked out the syns per Christmas pudding based on this, as my batch made 20. When you are calculating the syns just make sure that you divide 40 by the number of Christmas puddings that you have made. You can substitute scan bran for weetabix, but this may change the syn value. Most chocolate spreads are at least 4 syns per tablespoon, and Musclefood’s are 2, which is why I have specifically used this one. You can use Nutella or another type of spread but you just need to make sure that you recalculate the syn values- I’m afraid I haven’t yet found another one which is as low syn as the Musclefood one!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes