A whole roasted chicken with a delicious lemon and herb coating, it’s easy to create a Nando’s inspired meal at home!
Syn-free (if you are eating the chicken skin, syn this accordingly. The flavours will infuse into the meat if you aren’t eating the skin)
- 1 whole free-range chicken (approx. 1.5-1.8kg) ((see note above for cooking time recommendations))
- 3 tbsp fat-free Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary (dried)
- 1 tsp parsley (dried)
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp thyme (dried)
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 lemon ((zest only))
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it, and pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- In a small bowl, combine the yoghurt with all of the herbs, spices, and the lemon zest.
- Rub the marinade all over the skin of the chicken, getting it into the nooks and crannies (I find the easiest way to do this is with my hands!)
- Cover the chicken and baking tray with tin foil, and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Set a timer to go off 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- When there are 15 minutes left of cooking time, remove the foil from the chicken for the remaining cooking time.
- When the chicken comes out of the oven, cover it loosely with the foil and allow it to rest for 30 minutes before carving.
If you have time, you can marinade the chicken up to 24 hours before cooking, this will infuse the flavours into the chicken even more.
Having a meat thermometer will give you the peace of mind to know that your chicken is perfectly cooked. See the note above regarding this.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes