Crunchy yet succulent baked chicken pieces in a sweet and spicy gochujang sauce – prepped and cooked in under 30 mins.
Syns per portion: 7
- 6 skinless chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed away, each cut into 6 pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 2 spring onions, slices, to serve
For the sticky sauce:
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm (3/4 inch) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon gochujang paste (see note for more information
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan (425°F), Gas Mark 7.
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and sprinkle over the cornflour, then mix until it is fairly evenly coated.
- Line a large baking tray with nonstick baking paper, spray it with low calorie cooking spray, then lay the chicken pieces on the paper, leaving a gap between each one. Spray the chicken generously with low-calorie cooking spray, then place in the oven for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the sticky sauce. Put all the ingredients in a small pan and stir them together. Place over a low heat and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until you have a smooth, thick sauce. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and then set aside until the chicken is ready.
- When the chicken comes out of the oven it should be tender in the middle and a little crispy on the outside, with some extra crispy edges. Pop the sauce back over the heat to reheat, then move the chicken from the baking tray into a bowl and pour over the hot, sticky sauce. Mix it thoroughly and serve with sliced spring onions scattered on top.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main course
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: gochujang, chicken, spicy