A gorgeous Creole inspired rice dish- literally a ‘jumble’ of delicious foods and flavours, perfect for the whole family!
Syn free with Slimming World chorizo sausages, 2 syns per portion with regular chorizo
- 150 g Iceland North Atlantic prawns (defrosted in advance as per packet instructions)
- 6 frozen Iceland mini chicken fillets
- 2 Slimming World chorizo sausages (or 50g chorizo finely chopped) (finely sliced (from frozen))
- 100 g approx 3 handfuls frozen chopped onion
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 green and 1 red pepper (deseeded and diced)
- 2 fresh tomatoes (diced)
- 200 g long-grain rice (uncooked)
- 900 ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- lemon (chopped into quarters (to serve))
- low calorie cooking spray/spray oil
- Spray a large deep frying pan, or paella pan with low-calorie cooking spray, and bring up to heat
- Add onion and garlic and cook on a high heat for 2 minutes
- Keeping on a medium heat, move the onion over to one side of the pan, and add the frozen chicken mini fillets, stir fry for 5 minutes, keeping the onion moving around too so that it does not burn.
- Add in the (frozen) sliced chorizo style sausages and stir fry for another 5 minutes
- Throw in the chopped peppers, and stir fry for another 2 minutes, and then add in the diced tomatoes, and give these another 2 minutes of stir-frying
- Add in the defrosted prawns, and stir fry on a high heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir through the dry rice, along with the thyme, oregano and paprika. Once all mixed in, add the chicken stock.
- Allow to simmer gently for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked through, and the liquid absorbed. If the rice is still liquidy at the end of the cooking time, turn the heat up high and bubble away (stirring regularly) to evaporate the remaining liquid.
- Check that the rice is tender, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley and with a wedge of lemon (and maybe some chilli sauce!)
If you want to make this look extra special, and become even more of a tasty treat, you could cook a few king prawns, or as a real treat, the Iceland Arctic Royal Argentinian shrimp to garnish with! In the batch pictured, I just defrosted these and fried them in garlic and chilli!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes