This is my favourite soup, so tasty, satisfying to eat even without bread and very filling!
- 300 g dried puy lentils (or green lentils)
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 2 sticks celery (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 4 carrots (grated or finely chopped)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 8 rashers lean bacon (fat removed and finely chopped)
- salt and pepper
- Gently fry the onion, celery and garlic until the onion is soft and translucent
- Add the (rinsed) lentils, carrots and vegetable stock, bring to the boil, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the lentils, fry the bacon until crispy, and set to one side.
- After 25 minutes, add the tomatoes, puree and bacon and season well.
- Simmer gently for a further 30 minutes. The soup should be a thick consistency. If it looks to watery, bubble at a high heat for a few minutes to reduce it.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes