A simple but delicious paella that the whole family will love!
Syns: 1.5 per portion
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 35 g chorizo (finely chopped)
- 3 chicken breasts (chopped into chunks)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 15 g parsley (leaves separated, stalks chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1 red pepper (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 300 g paella rice ((or see recipe introduction for alternatives))
- 750 ml boiling water
- 100 g frozen peas
- 1 lemon (zested and then quartered)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan or similar pan. Add the chorizo, chicken, onion, garlic, parsley stalks and grated carrot and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in the red pepper, paprika, cayenne and turmeric and stir fry for another 3 minutes.
- Crumble in the chicken stock cube, then stir in the rice until throughly combined with all of the other ingredients. Pour in the measured boiling water and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir, and then simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
- Add in the peas, season with salt and pepper and stir fry for another 5 minutes.
- Check that the rice is cooked and not chalky. Grate the lemon zest directly over the top of the dish and scatter with the parsley leaves. Chop the lemon into wedges and serve on the side.
Add any extra seafood that you fancy, or substitute the chicken for mussels and prawns. Green beans also work well added in.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes