Orange, soy & ginger chicken and squash traybake
A very simple to make and tasty oven-cooked dish flavoured with sticky soy & orange sauce
I love a dish that you can cook all in one, and I really fancied finding a new way to use butternut squash- entering into Autumn there are lots of lovely squash and pumpkins around, and i had an inkling that soy sauce would go really well with baked squash, giving it a bit of caramelisation. I mixed in some orange and zest to help it along with some sticky, sweet flavour, and then some ginger and garlic to finish it off.
This all baked together beautifully with the chicken, ending up with a tasty and sticky glaze, and was delicious served with asparagus, fine beans and baby corn.
Do you want more traybake ideas? have a look at these recipes:
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Soy, orange & ginger chicken and squash traybake
- 6 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 small or 1/2 large butternut squash, cut into slices (or pre-cut chunks!)
- zest & juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- Thumb-sized piece fresh ginger grated
- 2 red onions peeled and cut into wedges
- spray oil or low calorie cooking spray
- Pre-heat the oven to 190c. Mix together the soy sauce, orange juice & zest, garlic and ginger. Mix together in a bowl with the chicken thighs
- In a deep baking tray/casserole dish, sprinkle in the red onion, add in the butternut squash, place the chicken thighs evenly over the top and then pour the marinade over. Spray over the top with spray oil or cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then take out of oven to give it a good stir, and pop back in for another 20 minutes.
- Check that the butternut squash is cooked through, and serve!