I always try and make our Saturday night dinners a bit of a treat- as we have young children so are very unlikely to be out and about having a social life it’s nice to have something to look forward to! Luckily for me, where I live (Ivybridge in South Devon) the takeaways are really bad, so the couple of times that we have decided to treat ourselves I’ve found myself with severe food anger about paying so much money for such rubbish food! At least it means that this isn’t ever a temptation, and has kept me experimenting with making my favourite take-away dishes as healthy as possible whilst also making sure that they taste amazing! Here are my top 10 dishes that I have made so far:
1. Chicken katsu curry: I could never resist this in Wagamama, and I think that this version is as good as the original. Really!
2. Pizza: If you are following Slimming World then there is a way to make a gorgeous pizza which is still super low in syns (it could be syn free using healthy extra a and b!)
3. KFC style chicken: I spent ages trying to get the spice mix right for this, and I really do think this genuinly tastes like KFC- actually I think it’s much nicer as KFC is way too greasy!
5. Cheeky Nando’s: This is one of my all-time favourites, I serve it with sweetcorn, healthy fries and sometimes a healthier homemade version of garlic bread.
6. Chicken tikka masala: I make this version in the slow cooker
8. Chicken Pizzaiola: Not really something you’d get from a takeaway, but I love this!
9. Perfect chips: This is my favourite way to make a really delicious side of fries to go with some of the other dishes listed here!
10. Fajita spice mix: Cook up with prawns or chicken, peppers and onion and serve with lime rice, refried beans and salsa. Yum!